Cold Vulcanizing Fundamentals
- June 30th 2012
Yeah, I patch my own tubes, but not always.
- Replace provided sandpaper for 80-120 grit genuine industrial emery cloth.
- Buff to black rubber area larger than patch.
- Apply glue area larger than patch, spread quickly.
- Let glue dry completely, no such thing as too long, failure will occur if patch is applied to wet glue.
- Carefully tighten glue cap for perfect seal.
- Do not touch even the tiniest corner of patch, or dried glue, handle only with cellophane Once foil is removed, center on wound, lay on in rolling fashion.
- Most important: press on firmly, preferably with roller, but in field, use lever with tube firmly backed to press patch on… it is at that moment that cold vulcanizing is complete.