Cold Vulcanizing Fundamentals
- June 30th 2012
Yeah, I patch my own tubes, but not always.
- Replace provided sandpaper for 80-120 grit genuine industrial emery cloth.
- Buff to black rubber area larger than patch.
- Apply glue area larger than patch, spread quickly.
- Let glue dry completely, no such thing as too long, failure will occur if patch is applied to wet glue.
- Carefully tighten glue cap for perfect seal.
- Do not touch even the tiniest corner of patch, or dried glue, handle only with cellophane Once foil is removed, center on wound, lay on in rolling fashion.
- Most important: press on firmly, preferably with roller, but in field, use lever with tube firmly backed to press patch on… it is at that moment that cold vulcanizing is complete.
–From Brett via iPad