Installing the Safe Zone Helmet Mirror
1. Install the mirror’s articulating arm on the base unit. It’s a tight fit. This will be easier if you heat up the arm in a mug of boiling water for a few minutes to expand the plastic slightly. Do not do this on stove top. Heat the water first, then soak the arm in a mug away from stronger heat sources.
2. Decide where to position mirror’s base unit as far forward as possible on the helmet’s left front quarter, to ensure that mirror is at least 5″ from your eye.
3. Once position is determined, attach firmly to helmet with a least two velcro ties.
4. Adjust for optimum view by cupping hand over backside of mirror, bending articulating arm or rotating as needed. Mirror works best when straight forward, up a little, with ear edge in view. Your position on the bike will be different than standing, so lean against a wall or have a friend hold your bike upright so you can make the final adjustments. You can adjust while riding, but be sure to pick a safe stretch of road and stay away from the road’s edge. We recommend you face forward, glance at the mirror, face forward while you adjust with your left hand, glance again to check, face forward to make additional adjustments, etc. Don’t focus on the mirror too long or you are likely to veer off your line.
5. After position has been perfected we recommend applying at least one zip-tie to keep the position secure. Tighten until it’s snug, but not any further to prevent damage to the helmet’s foam. Trim excess zip tie with normal fingernail clippers for a clean cut (the bike mechanic’s secret weapon).
6. Articulating arm links are snap-fit to allow for shortening or reassembly after hard impacts; bend sharply to break apart, and push together firmly to reassemble. The mounting bracket’s ball is designed to release easily. DO NOT attempt to re-attach while riding if this joint releases during adjustment. Find a safe spot to pull over, step off the roadway, remove helmet, and follow instructions in step #2 above.
7. If the mirror arm snaps off the base plate for any reason, it can just be snapped back on. The most ergonomically efficient technique is as follows: Sit down and place helmet upside-down in your lap with the front facing away from you. Grip the mirror assembly in your fist, mirror-side above your thumb, so your pinky curls around the end of the arm. This technique maximizes your strength without risking stubbed fingertips or cracked fingernails. Firmly press mirror assembly and mounting bracket together until they snap in place. It’s a tight fit. It helps to heat the arm in hot water as described in step #1. See the video below for guidance on this step
-Over-tightening of Zip ties may compromise long-term helmet integrity.
-Direct impact may cause improperly fitted helmets to slip slightly.
Please endeavor to install your Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror as far forward on the helmet as possible. If you feel that it is too far away once installed, links can be taken out. Additional links or any other spare parts are available directly from EVT LLC.
The Loc Line pliers are the easiest way to snap individual links together, available from Amazon here: Loc-Line Coolant Hose Assembly Pliers
Please call us at 971-258-0925 or email us at email@example.com for installation help!